Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Quick Facts

Ok, haven't had as much time as I would have liked to work on this, but since it's a hobby sometimes other things get in the way :) Did manage to pick up the answer to one of the questions I posed in the last post, though. Currently we're about about 425 parts per million (PPM) of CO2, or 0.0425% of our atmosphere is CO2 right now. In order to meet the IPCC goals of limiting temperature rise to 2 degrees we'll have to keep that to around 650-700 PPM over the long term. I recall from high school biology that whenever that book was published (I took the course in 1997 or 1998, so the figure is probably from around 1995) the atmospheric concentration was at 0.03%.

In other news, I've heard from a like minded co-worker (no confirmed written source) that they're predicting this summer will be a few degrees above normal. Which makes limiting temperature rise to 2 degrees over the long term seem highly unlikely.

No comments: